Sustainability is not only about saving the earth’s resources, but also saving costs in business so it is well worth looking into. A transport company like those organised by platforms such as ifr8.com.au uses a great deal of fuel to transport freight around the country and this costs money, so finding ways to save on fuel will save costs, which may be even more important to the company than being eco-friendly.
Everyone wants to save on costs whether they are in business or not, but those who are running a business have a vested interest in doing so, since it can mean the success or failure of their business.
One way to save on the cost of fuel is to use less. You may think this would be impossible, but there are several ways to do so.
- Plot an efficient route – one that takes not only kilometres into account, but road surface conditions and steep versus flat terrain. Naturally enough, a shorter route may not save fuel if it is very steep.
- Truck maintenance. We often hear about trucks in poor condition having accidents. But less is heard about the cost of running a truck that is not properly maintained. It will use more oil and have more breakdowns requiring ever more expensive new parts and loss of time when trucks are not maintained as they should be.
- Using the best truck for the job. Statistics have shown that larger trucks can freight more goods for less cost in fuel, so smaller trucks are not necessary the answer, depending on the goods and distance to travel.
- Driver training. Usually, truck drivers are good enough to have passed their driver’s licence test, but that doesn’t mean they know how to drive to reduce fuel consumption – or would do it if they did know. Driving in a gear lower than necessary can use up more fuel, as can allowing the truck to labour up a hill or around corners. Speeding is another way to use more fuel than necessary.
- Air conditioning is another fuel gobbler. When driving at slow speeds, turn it off and open the window instead. However, at high speeds having a window open will cause wind drag and increase fuel consumption.
- Tyres really come under the heading of maintenance, but having the correct tyre inflation for the truck and the load will save fuel also.
- Filling up the truck at specific times will prevent loss and waste of fuel. One time to avoid is just after the fuel tanks at the petrol station have been refilled, which tends to stir up bottom debris and can block your fuel lines. Fuel will be wasted when they have to be cleaned out.
- Aerodynamic design is an important consideration in saving fuel. Purchasing newer trucks that are better designed is likely to significantly save your fuel costs.