Whether your office is for digital marketing or anything else, there are ways to make it green, not just in how you work, but in the physical aspects of the office. Here are some things you can look at and when it is time to replace or renew them, make sure you choose sustainable or green products that will both help conserve the earth and make your office a safer and more pleasant place to work in.
- Paintwork and other finishes. Make sure paint is free of toxic fumes that can waft through the office for everyone to breathe.
- Carpets often have similar toxic fumes to paint. If the smell of new carpet is strong in the morning it is not the best choice. Try it out with a sample at home before you choose one for the office. Choose a carpet made from natural fibres for the best result.
- Fabric in curtains or sofas and easy chairs should be sustainable and the best is again, man-made fibres.
- Bamboo is a product that does not have any natural pests, so no pesticide is used in its growth. It grows quickly so it renewable. Products made from bamboo include desks, flooring, cupboards and countertops. You can also get bamboo fabric for curtains as well as clothing.
- Bamboo can also be used for curtain rods and is often a cheaper option than other kinds.
- Building and other products don’t always have to be new and expensive. Look at the recycled options for flooring and other things you might require for the office.
- Cleaning products. Office cleaning is usually done by a cleaning company, so you can choose one that uses green products that don’t harm the environment.
- Include some real greenery in the decor. Potted plants help to keep the air fresh and studies have shown they help to boost production, simply by looking pretty – and also by producing oxygen in the air overnight so we can breathe it in first thing in the morning.
- Air-conditioning? If you don’t live in a smog filled city, try opening the windows before putting the air-con on. But if you haven’t yet purchased one, be sure to find the best kind; one that is sustainable. New ones are far less power hungry than the old ones, so if yours is old, consider changing it.
- When it comes to office equipment there are many options. It doesn’t take much effort to read the specifications of each model and find the ones that will work best for your output while still reducing your carbon footprint.
Even if you only implement a few of the above suggestions, you will be playing your part in sustainability.